5 MAJOR MOTIVATORS TO GET YOUR ACT IN GEAR AND PURGE!!
1. Entertaining – NOTHING motivates quite like thinking all the people you know are going to see the inside of your home! (from an intimate dinner to a large BBQ) . We could get all touchy feely about this but let’s call a spade a spade – we all love the oohs and aahs of “you’re house looks great! How do you do it??”
2. Life Event – Marriage, birth, job change, medical emergency, empty nest, divorce, or death are times of change – HUGE CHANGE. These life events make us rethink our possessions and spaces to accommodate these transitions. Things that were once relevant just aren’t any more. People change and with it, so do their priorities and what possessions they need and don’t need.
3. Moving – BEST TIME EVER to ditch the useless stu! weighing us down. Who wants to pack it when you can give it away! Whether we are increasing or decreasing our living space in a move, there will be things that won’t be needed. The more decluttering you do before a move, the easier it will be to set up your new home.
4. 4. Renovating – Going through a renovation is hideous. It’s also a fabulous opportunity to get real about what you REALLY want to see in your beautiful new space. It’s a natural opportunity to be ruthless and only put back what you really want!
5. Garage Sale – Spring and summer are fantastic times to make some great cash on the over accumulated things lurking in your basement or attic or closets. Nailing down a date and posting it in the local paper forces you to get moving. It’s also a great way to meet your neighbours (the buyers of your “stu!,”) and know that your possessions will be useful and enjoyed by others.
Whatever your reason, there’s nothing like a good purge to make you feel refreshed and in CONTROL of your space!